Monday, October 15, 2012

5th Week In....

Well, today was a pretty interesting day...I kept really busy all day, first with an interview with a prospective second grader for next year, and then with all of my usual classes after that...only they weren't usual at all since about half of my class at present has chicken pox! They've been coming to class smeared in calamine lotion, and looking as if they're wearing war paint! Chicken pox vaccines aren't really our here in Zambia, so it's actually a very good thing that the kids are getting them. Just like when I was a kid (yeah, yeah, not that long ago!) and whenever another family had chicken pox, my parents would pack us all into the van and go spend time with them in order for us to catch them, so we wouldn't get them as adults. So, as I said, this a great thing for these kids to get them now. 

In the meantime, however, I will be putting up with some very annoying comments of "Miss Garcia, I'm itchy", and "Miss Garcia, my chicken pox are paining me". At one point, one of the boys couldn't use his pencil because he'd lost it in the back of his shirt. I assume he was using it to scratch his back! Today I tried really hard to do lots of things that would keep the kids from thinking about their chicken pox, it didn't work so well....I can tell that this will be a fun week!

No comments:

Post a Comment