Thursday, June 21, 2012

Oh the joys of chaperoning!




     This past weekend, from Friday through Tuesday, I got the opportunity to be one of three chaperons for a Sport's Tour for our 7th - 9th graders. Living out in the bush doesn't really make sport's games against other schools an easy or realistic thing to do, so once a year, the sport's teams get packed into two vehicles and travel eight hours to Chingola and Kitwe to play netball and football (soccer) games against some other private and/or Christian schools in Zambia. 

     Our girls played netball extremely well, and we were proud of their effort, teamwork, and incredible wins against every other team in their league. It was quite funny as the other schools kept asking, "So where are you from again?" Even in the bush, they've had the opportunity to be trained by one of the best P.E. teachers  around. Our boys weren't quite as victorious as the girls, but they still worked hard, and had a good time. 

     Needless to say, as fun as the trip was, I'm happy to be home and back with my second and third graders. Middle schoolers can be such a blast, but after so many times of looking for missing items, dealing with mood swings of teenage girls, trying to get girls to bed on time, out of bed on time, and reminding everyone to get their water bottles a half a million times, one is ready to come home to a normal school schedule. 

     All in all, I'm so glad that I got to go, and I was grateful for a chance to get to know the upper school kids a bit better. I have some neat memories that I'll never forgot with them, and I hope that I was able to build some relationships that will last. 

No comments:

Post a Comment