Thursday, November 22, 2012

Celebrating Thanksgiving...a little differently

    Well, Happy Thanksgiving....it's been a little of a strange day as I had classes this morning, and I am one of only three other people on station to recognize American Thanksgiving. It's easy to get down about being away from home on a day like today, and knowing that my entire family will all be under the same roof celebrating together. 

     Honestly though, it hasn't been a bad day at all. Last night I ran a "pie social", and with everyone's help we had quite a variety of pies...and even some ice cream! We played some Thanksgiving games, had some silly competitions, and I think, for the most part, everyone had a good time. There were quite a few different nationalities represented, (most of which don't celebrate Thanksgiving at all...or at least not in November), but I really appreciated the fact that they were willing to celebrate Thanksgiving with me...even if it is an American holiday. 


    This morning I received a whole bunch of the sweetest "Happy Thanksgiving Miss Garcia" cards, which one of my fellow teachers put together, and had appear from all different places (one my desk, at my seat at breakfast, from the kids, etc.). Today also just happened to be my afternoon off, so this afternoon I was able to call home, and this evening the girls on station are coming over to my house to eat leftover pie (I made apple and banana cream pie), and to make some Christmas cards. 


     So yeah, way different than a typical Thanksgiving, but special all the same, and hasn't left me unthankful in any way! :) Happy Thanksgiving ya'll!

No comments:

Post a Comment